Monday, January 08, 2007

Naturally I do have a wollemi pine

Discovered in 1994, by David Noble in the Wollemi National park not far from Sydney, the wollemi pine [Wollemia nobilis] is a significant mscientific discovery. The rather bizarre pine is related to the monkey puzzle pine (of south america) and norfolk island pine. There are perhaps fewer than 100 adult specimens known in the wild. After being initially considered a new species, it was eventually matched to fossils from the mid cretaceous period 110 million years ago, and was believed to have become extinct about 65 million years ago. So it pretty natural that I should have one in my creataceous garden (well in a pot in my garden)



"This is the equivalent of finding a small dinosaur alive on earth" ... Professor Clarrick Chambers, director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, December 1994


The photo above is not a single photo it is a photomosaic stitched together from several photos. If you want to know how this portrait of my special tree was taken, go and have a look in my photoblog, called wandering in the light

No comments: