Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Introducing the plants

How rude of me I have been rambling on mainly about watering and I forgot to introduce you to some of the important plants in my 100 million year old garden. The plants themselves are of course not that old, most are less than 10 years old. They are just the same or very similar species to those that existed back in cretaceous times.

Having a look at my plants I see that my Ginkgo Bilboa (Maiden Hair tree) has some spotting on the leaves. Not sure if this is drought stress or the result of hail at christmas. You can see a younger and happier leaf, on the same tree, in my photo blog, wandering in the light.

The gingko is not only a fascinating plant, it is the source of a powerful phytochemicals (commercially produced GBE or Ginkgo Bilboa Extract, is normally standardized to 24% ginkgo flavone glycosides and 6% terpene lactones) that has many claiming it as a wonder drug but it cannot be safely mixed with a number of common prescription medicines, including asprin. You can also dry the leaves yourself and make a great "pick me up" tea. Another amazing fact I found out about gingko is there are four special gingko trees that survived the 1945 atomic bomb at Hiroshima in Japan, and are still alive today.

Stay tune because I'll write a lot about my gingko

No comments: