Saturday, July 26, 2008

Weather Station Gwondana

IMGP4366Rather than just think conspiracy theories about the dams and rainfall I  figure it might be more constructive to start observing the weather events myself. Surprising it is possible for anyone (with an interest in weather) to do some simple observations themselves and become proficient in local weather forecasting themselves (at least that what the Discover Nature in the Weather websites say).

All that is required is some simples measuring apparatus, and most of that can be homemade if you want. The key items are -

  1. Rain gauge
  2. Thermometer
  3. Barometer
  4. Hygrometer
  5. Wind vane (and anemometer)

Whilst I have "analogue" version of all these apparatus and know how to use them I was inspired to go "digital" and get a wireless weather station that has an "indoor" LCD control panel,  that receives data wirelessly from external mounted measurement devices. Its not a model that can be connected directly to a computer (and then the net) that would make this extravagance way too expensive.

So my weather station is in (just above my cretaceous garden, and over the next few weeks I will be calibrating things. After that you can expect some weather observations to start appearing in here.

No comments: